Rules and Charges
1. All analysis will be done on charge basis.
2. We work in a three tier charge system. If
the charge is X for internal users, it will be 3X for external
and 6X for industries. There will be a reduction for trained users.
Training programme will be announced periodically. Training is
only for internal users.
3. Booking will be for two days during the week
(Tuesday, Wednesday) for internal samples and one day per week
(Friday) for external samples (for TEM and CRM). The days will
be Mondays and Thursdays (internal) and Saturdays (external) for
MALDI. This change is because the same operator will take care
of both CRM and MALDI. Per day it will be four slots of 1 hour
30 minutes each. Two will be in the morning from 9 am and two
will be in the afternoon from 2 pm. The time includes pump-down
time after the insertion of the sample.
4. Per unit charge will be Rs. 500 for TEM,
Rs. 400 for Raman and Rs. 250 for microtome. This is X. External
users (3X) and industries (6X) must add 12.36% service charge.
The charges must be paid in advance in the form of a DD, in the
name of “Registrar, IIT Madras” payable at Chennai.
5. The internal person who is booking should
be a regular student/faculty with roll number/id number and the
booking should be authorized by the Faculty in-charge and HOD.
6. There must be an account to which the bill
can be credited. This can be project or department account.
7. If the person is from outside, send a DD
and the DD details must be available on the booking (through the
8. Typically one sample takes 1.5 hours (for
both TEM and Raman).
9. Microtomy sample preparation will cost: Rs.
2000 per sample inclusive of everything.
10. No refunds will be made in case the machine
does not work on a given day. Instead, another sample/samples
can be done on an appointed date.
11. MALDI will be charged per sample basis.
Typical time required for analysis is 30 minutes. Per sample charge
is fixed as Rs. 350. This is X.
12. We do not have a routine AFM apparatus.
AFM and SNOM analyses will be done only for those who bring tips
(probes). Addresses for procuring tips will be provided. Per unit
charges will be as mentioned above.